The advice in this article has been prepared by Sener Law Firm. You will need a legal representative to apply for Residency in North Cyprus on your behalf.
Which office issues TRNC Residency Permits?
Permits are issued by the Department of Immigration in Lefkoşa (Nicosia).
Do North Cyprus Residency Permits have age requirements?
We have been informed by the Local Police that a Residency Permit is not required for those under 18 or Over 60. (Legally residency is required however most people over 60 are retired and do not need residency for any purpose unless applying for driving Licence etc. There is no fine and no requirements for visa extensions for those under 18 or over 60.) This information was provided by the Girne (Kyrenia) Local Police Office.
What do I need to apply for a Temporary Residency Permit?
You will need:
- Your original passports and photocopies of your passports.
- A photocopy of the departure and arrival page in your passport (you can request these to be stamped into a white paper at your point of entry if you wish).
- A letter from your local Muhtar (Mayor of your village or area), quoting your passport number. (There will be a very small charge for the Muhtar and the required stamps)
- The Koçan (title deeds) and address of your North Cyprus residence or equivalent confirming your place of residence. If your deeds have not been issued then a photocopy of your stamped contract will suffice. It is important that the Contract stipulates the name(s) of those applying for residency unless husband and wife, whereby the name of one will be sufficient.
- Proof of sufficient funds to maintain yourselves and any dependants, i.e. photocopies of bank statements, normally not less than £10,000 (Ten Thousand Great British Pounds)
- 2x Passport size Photographs.
- If you are married, a marriage certificate and a photocopy.
Do I need a North Cyprus police report to apply for Residency Permit?
Yes. The Nicosia office will then request a preliminary investigation by the Immigration Police. If the preliminary investigation report is positive, the immigration section of the local Police Directorate is instructed to accept your application. Documents are then forwarded to the Immigration Directorate of the general directorate of the Police and then onto the Immigration Department.
Do I need a medical report to receive North Cyprus Residency Permit?
Yes you do. After the initial application has been approved, you are then referred to a North Cyprus doctor for a medical report/check for HIV, Typhus etc. You may also go to the state Hospital in Girne (Akçiçek) up to 10:00am. A blood test and X-Ray are included in these tests. Results usually take about three weeks. (The fee for the tests to be done start from 135TL to 365TL – paid directly to the hospital). You will receive a receipt for this which your lawyer will need to submit to the Local Police.
How often does the TRNC residency permit have to be renewed?
The temporary North Cyprus residency permit is valid for one year. It can be easily renewed each year, at which time those within the specified age group have to repeat the blood tests. Please note: Almost all North Cyprus residents stay long term with the temporary permit as the permanent residency permit is only granted after 10 years of residency (this time period is also subject to change).
What do I do once I have documents, blood test and funds in place?
Once all the relevant documentation is ready then your lawyer will go to the Immigration Department with all the documentation and passport, revenue stamp etc.
What are the costs involved in applying for a North Cyprus residency permit?
There is a final fee to be paid to the immigration office in Nicosia for the residency stamp. This fee is currently 250 TL and is subject to change. There will also be legal fees for arranging your permit. This will vary between lawyers, but Sener Law firm charges £600 per permit.